I decided it was time to post a less-than-serious blog about potential slogans for Divertir Publishing. The original is here: divertirpub.wordpress.com/2013…
* * *
It seems lately that a lot of my blogs have been very serious – discussions of our policies, blogs about how technology is changing publishing, advice for authors, rants about some of the less-than-charitable emails we get in reply to rejections, and tips for creating a brand if you’re an author. So this week I decided a little levity was in order.
The word "Divertir" is French for "to amuse and entertain," and I’ve long believed that not only should our books accomplish this, but so should our work environment. The fact that we have fun doing what it is we do (even when it’s being a "Tool of the Publishing Elite") should be evident both to our authors and readers. And if some of the things we do aren’t fun, maybe it’s time to change that (this is a subtle hint to the staff to speak up). Life is too short…
In the past I’ve discussed the fact that our website is long overdue for an overhaul, and that will occur this summer. The goal in part is to make it a fun place to visit. One idea I had was to randomly display a funny "tag line" under our name to replace the current slogan, "Books that amuse, inform, and inspire." So without further ado, here is the list I’ve come up with so far for new "slogans" for the Divertir Publishing website:
* Because the zombies will need books after the Apocalypse.
* Because minotaurs really are the next big thing.
* Because politicians should not be our only form of entertainment.
* Because cursed-immortal-servants-of-the-Underworld need to have their stories told too.
* Because Silly Putty is hard to read (you might need to be my age to get this one).
* Because we need to show the UFOs there really is intelligent life here.
* Because we’ve always wanted a legitimate excuse to Google "sexy cowboy photos" and books covers seemed as good a reason as any.
* Because we’ve always wanted a slush pile.
* Because we thought a "slush pile" involved Italian ices and tequila.
* Because using Tarot cards and Ouija boards to select manuscripts for publication is as good as what the large publishers do.
* Because being on a reality TV show or being the dog of a celebrity does not make you qualified to write a book.
* Because we know a book is just waiting to come out of you, just like the monster in "Alien."
* Because there are wing nuts on both sides of the political screw.
* Because even conspiracy theories are sometimes true.
* Because laundering money isn’t what it used to be.
* Because the way I was squandering the family fortune was taking too long.
* Because a glass of wine goes better with a good book than with "Unreal Tournament" (I’m probably showing my age by my selection of computer game).
* Because the end of the world is coming so what the hell (I came up with this one before the Mayan end-of-the-world passed).
* Because a book commits suicide every time you watch reality TV (yes, I "borrowed" this one off an amusing poster that was on Facebook for a while).
* Because my doctor keeps changing my meds.
* Because we’ve always wanted to be called "Tools of the Publishing Elite."
Please feel free to make suggestions.